There's been lots of great skies in the past few days. Monday, about 30 minutes before the rain began the sky was a yellowish white color, really interesting. I guess that's because the clouds were covering it completely, and the setting sun was contributed the yellowness. The greenness of the plants was really acute too. I think that's just the way they are in May & June. It's a really special time.
| I gotta stop shooting so many photos in portrait view |
| Cutting them into squares makes it a little better |
Sunday had good skies too. Not as unique as Monday, but more dynamic.The clouds were thin, like a stretched out cotton ball.
I found a clearing in the woods the other day, which many had found before me. There is a unique comfort that can only be found in places like those. It was a place who demands to be returned to.
Today I went out with no particular destination in mind, but ended up in Baker wetlands. That's the Delawarean in me I suppose, always called to the marshes. It rained a ton last night, I had to find a different way home because of this:| Normally that's all dry, or sometimes has a little puddle right under the bridge. |
There were parts of the path that were flooded too, one even had a fish swimming in it. I got to experience a low flyover by a small gaggle of Canada geese, that was neat. I also saw a family of ducks, but they were too far away for me too get a picture or discern what type of ducks they were. They disappeared into the bushes when I got closer. And there was a turtle just sitting on the path, probably terrified of the large ape right in front of it. I don't know what type of turtle it was. I'm sorry. A normal cast of wetland birds was seen too, red winged blackbird, great blue heron, brown thrasher, American robin, etc. No egrets today though. There were European starlings too.
The European starlings are beautiful, I like them, but I've read that they're having a negative effect on the purple martin population, and that's disappointing. Many purple martins, especially in the eastern US are now totally reliant on man made nesting structures, partially because of the European Starling. It isn't all because of the that though, long before the European starling came over Native Americans would put hollow gourds up near their fields so that the martins would nest in them and eat pests. They were already getting used to man-made nests. Competition with the European starlings, who also nest in cavities, just made them more dependent on humans.
Honestly though, while I do wish there were more purple martins, I don't think it's that big a deal. There are an adequate number of man made nesting structures for them now, and the purple martins aren't endangered or even vulnerable. The ones in the western US still don't need nests built for them. Sure, there's less purple martins than there used to be, but they definitely aren't going anywhere. The European starlings can stay.
I also went to the East Hills Business park for some reason. I forget that thing exists sometimes. It isn't worth taking pictures of. Or actually it is, but I didn't take any today. It's just a business park.
| There was a fish in here, trust me, it was about 4 inches long |
| Geese! |
Bye!
No comments:
Post a Comment